Saturday, January 24, 2009

Arctic Exploration

Michael: "Hasn't everything already sorta been discovered though, by like, Magellan and Cortez?"
Buster: "Oh yeah, yeah... Those guys did a pretty good job. But there's still... you know."



I left the path here and walked off into the wilderness. I followed a small creek westward along a valley, hoping to find its source (somewhere just off 102 ave, I suspected). As I trudged through the snow, stumbling on hidden rocks and through half-frozen puddles, crawling under and over fallen trees, I began to worry. What if I wandered out of the valley on the wrong side of a fence, trapped and displayed like an animal in a zoo? Passersby would turn away in vicarious embarrassment and whisper to each other "Don't make eye contact with that homeless man." What if I was greeted by the fuzz, waiting to cheese me for trespassing on public land? Worry made the work of pushing through trees hurried and exhausting. It was too late to go all the way back now. The trees were denser now and the way less passable. Darkness was coming, and with it: bitter cold. In a panic I abandoned the trek and climbed the hill to the top of the valley, back to safety.

I re-entered civilization here.


There exists still undiscovered wilderness in the heart of Edmonton...


... Paths ne'er walk'd before.


On the southern tip of St George's Crescent.

I walked on the frozen river, imagining what it might be like to fall through the ice, to cling desperately to the edge, but to then be swept under by the currents.

Dramatic!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Michael!
    Nice blog! Erin told me about it... I'm glad you took pics of the toy shop! Nate still loves his train set - he was playing with it today, but the little attach-y pieces on the track are all falling off - choking hazard! Just to warn you, in case you decide to take over for Santa's elves or Fisher Price or something... I like my candle!
    Love,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete